Home school Partnership News
Nursery – Summer 2
Communication and Language
During this term the children will be learning how to:
- Begin to respond to instructions involving a two- part sequence such as put the car on the table and the brick on the shelf.
- Follow a story without pictures of props.
- Use language they have learnt from a story in their role- play.
- Have discussions with their friends by using and responding to ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions.
- Continue to join in with repetitive refrain in stories as a whole class during story time.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
During this term the children will be learning:
- That each of them is special and unique. They will be able to describe themselves in positive terms such as, I am really good at…
- To try and resolve conflicts with their friends without the help of adults first such as, finding a compromise.
- Continue to adapt their behaviour to changes in routines
During this half term the children will be: Learning about the topic of special celebrations. They will learn that celebrations are happy occasions and they will discuss times of celebrations in their lives. The children will learn that a wedding is a special celebration when two people love each other. They will listen to the story of the Marriage Feast at Cana and continue to learn that the Church is a special place where God’s people gather to pray.
will be planned around the children’s interests. They will also learn about the stories The Tiger who came to Tea, Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella. Children will also learn about different types of animals and how we take care for them and the environment.
This term the children will be learning how to:
- Recognise the similarities of shapes in the environment. A good song on YouTube to support this is the shapes are everywhere song.
- Count to ten and above. A good song on YouTube to support this is the video Let's Count to 20 Song For Kids.
- Represent numbers through marks on paper and also by using their fingers.
- Use terms relating to weight and capacity such as, heavy, light, empty and full.
Literacy this term Nursery will focus on:
- Showing awareness in rhyming and alliteration through activities such as poetry basket time and silly soup.
- Recognising their name. This will be done through self-registration where some of their names won’t be paired with their picture.
- Mark making with a purpose in mind by having the children use their name cards to help label their work.
- Continuing a rhyming string by playing games where the initial sound of a child’s name is changed and they have to guess.
This term Nursery will be developing:
- Their confidence to move in a range of ways
- How to jump off an object and land appropriately.
- Dance skills through daily dance sessions using the gonoodle website which can be used at home.
- Travelling with increased confidence and skill around, under, over and through balancing and play equipment.
- The ability of practising appropriate safety measures without direct supervision.
- Their gross and fine motor skills through the use of large construction and games that involve using tweezers